Year 5 & 6 – Starlings
Welcome to Starlings Class!
Teacher - Mrs Cholerton
Teaching Assistant - Mr Eaton
Year 5 and 6 is a year to embed all of the knowledge learnt in lower Key Stage 2; a year to start the preparations for transition to secondary school. Increasingly, children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning: to do their homework, to pack their school bag, to remember their PE kits. As a result, they develop and grow. It is about encouraging independence in preparation for bigger things to come.
The children learn to work as a team, learn from each other, become independent thinkers and learn from their mistakes; enabling confident young learners for life.
This year we want to establish an ethos in the classroom where all children are READY, RESPECTFUL and SAFE. Parents have a crucial role in supporting this and we are keen to work together with parents to ensure all children are able to make positive choices about their behaviour for learning.
- Reading 5 times per week signed by an adult to enter the Reading Raffle.
- Every week in the reading record, write a paragraph about the book you are reading.
- TT Rockstars - aim for at least 5 minutes per day.
- Spellings are set on a Friday on paper or via Spelling Shed, practice ready for a test on Friday. (Practice little and often)
- Maths games are available on Maths Shed - use your Edshed log in.
- Year 6 also have access to Read Theory and Typing.com
All log ins are in the front of every child's reading journal.
Our topic this term is 'How significant was World War II?
PE will usually take place on Tuesdays and Fridays. Children should bring their PE kit in to school on a Monday and leave it here all week please. Their kit should include warm joggers as we will try to do outdoor possible whenever possible. Please could the children also remove their earrings on PE days; if this is not possible they should bring tape to cover their earrings in their PE/school bag.
terms 5 and 6
Compassion, Courage, Friendship, Respect
"Let all that you do be done in love”
1 Corinthians 16:14