Year 3 & 4 – Puffins
Year 3/4 – Puffins
Welcome to the Puffins Class Page!
Year 3/4 is an important, exciting and fulfilling step on your child's journey through Salehurst C.E. School. Our aim in Year 3/4 is to increase the children's confidence, both in terms of their learning skills and emotional resilience.
In Year 3/4, every child is given the opportunity to meet their potential across the curriculum at their own pace. We provide rich learning opportunities that stimulate and broaden the children's knowledge, skills and understanding.
Our curriculum is topic based. This year, our first topic in Autumn Term is 'Invaders and Settlers'. In Spring Term we will be learning about Africa and finally, in Summer Term we will learn about Food and Farming.
We aim to include an educational visit or enrichment day for each topic which will immerse the children in their learning.
In Year 3/4, we encourage independence of thought, word and deed so that the children become confident, positive individuals.
This year we want to establish an ethos in the classroom where all children are READY, RESPECTFUL and SAFE. Parents have a crucial role in supporting this and we are keen to work together with parents to ensure all children are able to make positive choices about their behaviour for learning.
· Teachers: Mrs Williams (Monday and Tuesday) and Mrs Shields (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
· Teaching Support Staff: Mrs Stevens (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday), Mrs Clewley (Thursday and Friday).
· PE will usually take place on Wednesdays and Fridays. Children should bring their PE kit in to school on a Monday and leave it here all week please. Their kit should include warm joggers as we will try to do outdoor possible whenever possible. Please could the children also remove their earrings on PE days; if this is not possible they should bring tape to cover their earrings in their PE/school bag.
· We are always available to talk to parents about any concerns or questions they may have after school. You can leave messages at the office for us, which are passed on promptly to us in the classroom.
· In the Summer term, all Year 4 children will take part in the National multiplication check. The teaching of times tables is a fundamental element of the maths curriculum and we will be working with parents to support home learning.
· Reading 5 times per week signed by an adult to enter the Reading Raffle.
· Times table sheet set on a Friday and practice ready for a test on Thursday.
· TT Rockstars aim for at least 5 minutes per day.
· Spellings set on a Monday on paper or via Spelling Shed, practice ready for a test on Monday.
Our Power of Reading Text for this term is: Escape from Pompeii
Click here to learn more about our Autumn term topic all about Invaders and Settlers
In Summer Term We Are Learning About 'The Seaside'
We will be learning about:
- Living things and their habitats
Our Power of Reading Text for this term is: Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo
Have a look at our AMAZING World Book Day Costumes
WORLD BOOK DAY 2023
In Spring Term We Are Learning About 'The Vikings'
We will be learning about:
- ·Types of settlement
- ·Who were the Vikings?
- Where did they come from?
- How did they travel?
- Why did they travel?
- Important people of the time ( Alfred the Great, Edward the Confessor)
- Viking culture
- 1066 The Battle of Hastings
Our Power of Reading Text for this term is: Arthur and The Golden Rope
Click here to learn more about our Autumn term topic all about the Vikings
Click here to learn more about our Autumn term topic all about the Ancient Egyptians.
Compassion, Courage, Friendship, Respect
"Let all that you do be done in love”
1 Corinthians 16:14